4.28.2010

28: The Decadence of Youth, Past

Dear readers, I turn 28 this week. Birthdays always bring out the solipsism and nostalgia in me, and to those ends I've unearthed some pictures a past birthday, 22, I think. The plan was to carpet the floor of our apartment in Burnside House with sod, open the windows to the bracing spring air, and build up the fire to a blaze. Picnic-meets-campfire-meets-cocktails. Reality set in at Home Depot, where the sod was less than appealing -- crestfallen, largely dead and smelling like ... dead grass. What to do? Well, I remembered from my days as a Home Depot slave that the return policy is insanely generous, so instead we bought dozens of enormous potted orchids, and created a forest of orchids:



Great time, and then people started stripping down (it was boiling, and I guess evoked better a forest of orchids). The tasty aftermath:



Yum. Lovely Keiko made me my first red velvet birthday cake (with frosting carefully matched to the color of flesh), starting a continuing desire for red velvet birthday cake. Keiko, won't you please come back from Japan and make me the cake I so desire?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

your 28? Time fly's man. Nick pretty soon you'll be in your 30's.

-Zane of ontario honey

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Nick Haus! I look forward to seeing what you have to say. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking Anonymous comments -- too much spam, too much vituperative. Come out from behind the curtain, ye nasty Anonymous! Everyone else, please, I love to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails