2.11.2011

SAVE ME: 65,000 Dollar House of Great Charm

OH, dear readers -- I made the mistake of looking at a remarkable little house a few days ago that has me utterly smitten:





Built between 1805 and 1815, the house retains many charming features -- two original fireplaces, wainscoting throughout, etc. Its scale is beyond sweet -- the entire thing reads like the cabin in a ship, with ceiling just over 6'6" in height and nooks and winding stairs throughout.

The kitchen wing, with 5 windows on three sides overlooking trees:



Living room, with paneling and original fireplace:



One of the bedrooms:



And 2 inch-thick treads to the basement, bearing two centuries of use:



Overall, it's one of the brightest houses I've ever been in, with multiple large windows in each room -- of course, it needs absolutely everything, except a new furnace, which is new. The electrical system is terrifying.

Sadly, this post may well be a eulogy -- in the past day, the listing has disappeared, and I fear it has been bought. It was being marketed as a tear-down, which makes me want to scream. Yes, it needs a great deal of work, but once completed, it would be about as perfect a house as humanly possible. At least for someone of my slight stature -- I have always preferred spaces that cuddle with you.

It's one irreversible flaw is that it suffers from "first house syndrome" -- a term I've coined to describe excellent buildings that predate their newer, lesser neighbors -- but all in all, the neighborhood is pretty palatable. Nothing completely offensive.

Except, of course, whatever piece of crap the new owner puts in its place. Fudge -- this shouldn't be legal. Even here, in our ancient state, it's not as though we have an endless supply of untouched 200 year old houses.

6 comments:

amy merrick said...

IS THAT ANTIQUE FLORAL LINOLEUM I SPY??

NOOOOOOO!

Nick Heywood said...

Oh Amy, Amy ... three rooms of it, each in a different pattern! Kiss it good-bye : (

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I am so enjoying your blog. Always stimulating, entertaining and inspiring. Keep up the good work. Best wishes from Sydney, Australia.

Luke Hoy said...

currently on the verge of tears.

Sara said...

that's a beauty. Someone with a business of reclaiming doors, trim and paneling would be lucky to help them out.

Prippy Handbook said...

Gorgeous home. I hope that someone loves it rather than destroying it...

Someday I look forward to having a spot like that for my little family, too!

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Nick Haus! I look forward to seeing what you have to say. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking Anonymous comments -- too much spam, too much vituperative. Come out from behind the curtain, ye nasty Anonymous! Everyone else, please, I love to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails