3.14.2011

Raptors' Paradise

While I content myself to watch the return of red finches to our feeder, Steven caught this juvenile sharp-shin (a graceful killer) on a neighboring rooftop:



When he shrieks, pigeons take flight.



Larger raptors are too slow for a fast snack, but not so for the streamlined sharp-shin (or merlin, depending on whose identification you trust).



They like the long vistas from our hill as much as we do, and especially like winging around that statehouse: not only a magnificent example of Mckim Mead & White neoclassicism, but also a raptor's paradise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They sit there waiting for food like my dog waits for people to drop food at the kitchen table.


-Zane of ontario honey

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on Nick Haus! I look forward to seeing what you have to say. Unfortunately, I had to stop taking Anonymous comments -- too much spam, too much vituperative. Come out from behind the curtain, ye nasty Anonymous! Everyone else, please, I love to hear from you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails